Thursday 15 July 2010

This cannot be!

From my Biochem Metabolism unit chair to all Burwood campus students:
"Hi All,
Lectures notes will be made available to both campuses. This allows students, if they have problems downloading lecture notes, to download another set of similar lecture notes easily. Ilectures however will be campus specific. Tom, Teo and myself feel we can more effectively teach this way.

I am currently teaching other units at present and won't be teaching Biochemical metabolism at Geelong until week 7."
 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo!!! This. Cannot. Happen!

This is HUGE (for me anyway) because it means I will not have any access to the Geelong campus i-lectures (audiovisual lecture recordings) For some students like me who found our Burwood lectures to be bad (bad in the fact that it was hard following his lectures and the lecture notes are all messy), access to the other campus lectures and lecture notes were a godsend. Halfway through semester one, I just stopped attending my Biochem Burwood lectures and started to watch the Geelong ones online.

Stuart, the Geelong Biochem lecturer and campus wide unit chair is a great lecturer. One of the best I've come accross. He is enthusiastic, witty, helpful and funny. It also helped that he sounded a lot like Hamish from Hamish and Andy (crazy comedian duos). Haha. Watch them! This is a clip of them 'ghosting' people, the art of Personal Space Invading (without getting caught!)


He made Biochem an enjoyable and interesting unit! He made it not so daunting. Throughout the lecture after each mini-section he would 'test' his students by giving them questions and asked them to take a few minutes to answer them. Even though I wasn't there in person, I participated and that really helped me in this unit. As the exam approached, I became more and more reliable on the Geelong lectures and I learned a lot through Stuart's teaching style. I am not the only one.

So to read that there won't be any access for Burwood students to Geelong i-lectures in semester two, I was devastated. But some students are pushing for access, it's kinda like a petition. So I will petition!

Hope all goes well and we get the i-lectures back!

No comments: