Friday 20 March 2009

UNREASONABLE CUSTOMERS

WARNING: This is gonna be a ramble, I'm not happy right now. I just want to vent. I might seem unreasonable myself. I am. But I'm still frustrated so yah. Need to cool down.

For those who don't know, I work at an alteration store as the cashier attendant. And as the cashier attendant I get the blunt force of customers' complaints and tantrums (mostly). Either that or I have to cope with their unhappiness of their $200+pantswhichtheyclaimwespoilt.

Anyway, this totally unreasonable lady comes in and says that she wants to shorten a pair of slacks. So I told her to go into the change room, reassuring her that I'll be there shortly. So I did my job; pinned the leg to the length she wanted (she was quite finicky about the right length) but her requests then were reasonable enough. I put up with her demands, I don't mind, because it is my job to get the right length the customer wants.

1 hour later, she comes back, goes into the the change room to try on the newly shortened pants. Comes back out a few minutes later quite a while later (all the while holding up other customers who need to use the change room) and shows me and the tailor a piece of string (part of the fabric of her pants) that has somehow materialized from the fabric of her pants (not the from the seams, the fabric). So she asks the tailor to fix it up-*by fix up, we normally just cut the string off.*- But NO. She insisted that someone painstakingly sew this single piece of string back into the the fabric. So the tailor (poor her...) struggles to push the string through the needle (she's aged, cannot see very well). Anyway, she asks me to help her, I do...and finally. finally. managed to put the sting through. Okay job done, sewed it back in. Time to get her to pay.

I go up to the counter, she inspects the pants; eyes the tiny spot where the needle had gone in (to fix her recalcitrant string). I look at her face. Not a happy face. She turns and says "Look, I'm not happy with this. I'm just not happy with the job you've done." I shrug. We did our job properly and professionally- which was to shorten the pants.

She continues on, "It's RUINED; my pants are ruined!"

"It's not, you can still wear them. Besides, no one will notice anyway," I answered coolly.

"Well, I am not going to pay for this," she retorts. "Do you know how much I bought this pants for? $200. And you've ruined it."

"It's not our fault, the tailor only altered the part they were suppose to alter, no one touched your pants anywhere else." Gee this client is getting unreasonable I thought.

She pushes on, "I want a discount."

"Sure, I'll give you a discount. $12 (was originally $13 to shorten pants). Best I can do."

I wait as she takes out her purse. A $10 dollar note appeared, I waited longer. Nothing. I piped up, "There's another $2..."

"I am only going to pay $10," she stated.

"But it's $12...(this. woman. is. too. unreasonable. they. need. to. earn.a. living. too. if. you. can. afford. a. $200. pants. why. can't. you. pay. another. $2??!?!)..."

"I am only going to pay $10."

"I'm not allowed to do that," I replied. "You'll have to ask the tailors."

She turns to one of the tailors and says (not asks) "I am going to pay $10 for this." The tailor reluctantly agreed. Actually, had no choice but to agree.

*$#@&$*#&&^!@&#@* (not swear words, just plain frustration)


I really really really dislike people who do anything to not pay full price. Lie, cheat, threaten, force.

But I guess this is not too bad...other customers are worse, they demand you pay the full price of whatever they claimed we spoiled. SIGH. SIGH. SIGH.


End venting.

No comments: