Monday 9 March 2009

Uni Start

I officially started attending lectures at Deakin University today. My timetable for Mondays is packed full with 3 lectures and a practical (below).

But I thank God that I only need to be on campus Mon-Thurs; Friday I have no classes- YAY!

This morning I had my first lecture of unit HBS107 aka "Understanding Health". It was particularly interesting not because of the content itself but because of the 3-way video conference the lecturers used so that all HBS107 students from Burwood (the one I'm at), Geelong (it's far from Melbourne city, about 2 hours drive...also where the Adventure Park we went to is situated) and Warrnumbul (I don't really know where this is but I guarantee it's someplace rural) can see and hear each other. They (the lecturers) decided to do it's first trial today so that in the future the lecturers across all 3 campuses get to do their presentations. It saves time I guess. We got to see the many students from the different campuses (and their lecturers) so that was fun. Other than that the first lecture was just the basics - the determinants of health, how the media shapes our perception of health etc. Boring really. But compulsory for any student doing any health related subjects (like biomedicine, dentistry, nursing etc...)

After that was a real short break (maybe 10-15mins?) before the next lecture which goes on for about 2 hours (ugh). But that was okay because it's Psychology! Or rather, "Introduction to Psychology A"! The lecture was held as a symposium; a meeting or conference for discussion
of a topic, especially one in which the participants form an audience and make presentations. Basically we have several lecturers (each with their area of expertise) and they give their presentations in turn to us (the audience). A new way for me to attend lectures...it was okay. The first speaker (Dr Adam Rock) is a really funny guy; he's a bit unpredictable, very witty in his presentations and overall enjoyable to hear (should have more people like him) So he talked on Freudian Psychoanalysis (crazy theories on why people do what they do...). I liked the 'id', 'ego' and 'alterego' part.

Next speaker presented on 'Behaviourism' which unlike psychoanalysis which dwells into the unconsciousness of the human mind; behaviourists claims that behaviours are carried out by people because of a certain stimulus. Stimulus = Response. In comes classical and operant conditioning. Blah blah...then some critics which lead to another approach to determine human behaviour which is the 'humanist approach' which states that generally people are good and they do bad things because of conflicts between a person's self-concept and their experience. Please don't ask me to explain; it's rather hard...sry! Uh...what else..oh..and the fourth approach is the 'Cognitive Approach' which emphasises the use of mental processes in determining human behaviour.

I'm surprised I remember that much...but yeah...according to research, it's good to teach others what you've learnt because then you'll understand it better yourself and in turn remember better as well. So that's why I'm rewriting out what we went through...thanks for reading...haha...I bet you don't understand half of what I was on about. Nevermind.

Okay....then I had lunch...a simple cheese and tomato croissant - $5 gone. Bye. I really need to get a better job...I'm running out of money already!

then at 1 I had my HBS109 lecture (Anatomy and Physiology) *cringe* thick textbook weighing easily more than 3kg. Anyway we went through 11 physiology systems of the human body...a bit like stuff we learnt in science Form 3. We also went through anatomical terms *palmhead* I have a lot of memorising to do~~

Tomorrow I have a lecture at 8 in the morning! Have to wake up at like....6 to get ready! Arhghghahhfwihfa. But good thing is I get to go home at 10~! Yay.

Okay..it's pretty late so I'd better go sleep now....I still haven't read through my textbook for tomorrow's lecture... D: AND I ALSO NEED TO GET A LAB COAT AND SAFETY GLASSES. UGH.

Grace out.

That is just several of the many many buildings of Deakin Burwood campus.

I am a uni student...I feel old...D:

I'll try to upload more photos when I get a chance to explore more...but I have to get my camera fixed first...the lens won't close in properly because I think there's sand in it. I don't know what to do!! Any advice?!

No comments: